Friday, December 30, 2005

Why is the Sky That Color, Again?

For some reason I got to thinking about this, and thought I'd share it. The media likes to annoint Duke's basketball team as the greatest program on earth, eternally feared, always dominant and of course, (though J.J. Redick's poetry might lead to a reassessment), true student-athletes. As I've left the naivete of my younger years, I tend to dismiss the student-athlete part with a healthy dose of cynicism futher propelled by my feeling that long ago that claim became irrelevant in college sports (from the Ivy League to the SEC, there is always going to be a point where the student criteria gives way to the athlete - and I've heard too much about Duke and UNC players who proved the point to snark either way).

But while Duke has been the best team in the land from November through early March, and Carolina suffered much recently with a talent drop-off beginning in 1998 and not really being addressed until Roy Williams came to coach the new talent we had, this little nugget of info surprised, and delighted me:

Final Fours since 1996, post back "injury" years at Dook, and spanning Smith, Guthridge, Doherty and Williams years at Carolina, certainly the time when Duke should have dominated the Heels in all categories:

Duke - 1999, 2001, 2004
UNC - 1997, 1998, 2000, 2005

Michigan State is the only program to make it to late March/April as much as the Heels. And the Heels did it with key front court contributions from the likes of Serge Zwikker, Kris Lang and a borrowed Julius Peppers. In fact, until this year the only players from that stretch who have seen steady NBA careers are Brendan Haywood, Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison. Duke meanwhile staffs both the Clippers and the Bulls with former players, as well as Shane Floppier contributing to the Memphis Grizzlie

All of this isn't to say Duke sucks, they have absolutely dominated the ACC regular and tournament championships, though Carolina owned them in 97 and 98. And Duke has won thirteen of the last seventeen contests with the Heels. And hey, relationships matter, so I guess missing out on those Final Fours isn't the biggest thing in the world.

But, this was the worst Carolina has been in my lifetime. I'll take it. Someday, my now 4 year-old nephew will have to feel this sort of pain, four final fours and a national title along with some really bad teams. With my experience as a guide, I can show him (and likely his kids) the way to cope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home